书墓之心

Forgot password?
 立即注册
Search
Author: Morgane

[原创] Pacific Updates (May 2016 - Ongoing)

[Copy link]

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-9-25 05:55:34
| Show all posts

A bit of a work in progress. More updates later in the weekend. x)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-9-26 13:30:50
| Show all posts
Let me pause real quick and make a few notes about where everything is.

Pacific vol. 3: We're trying, but I think given the workload we might be looking at Q1 2017 rather than winter comiket.
2016: Release for winter comiket. Be prepared for a few surprises along the way.
Website/wiki: Slowly coming along.
AR3: Probably for winter comiket or right alongside vol. 3:
Japanese AR1-2 double volume: We're going to test the waters with this one, and if it works we'll release English in the same way.
Pacific's Abyssal Guide: Yet another thing coming out probably for Chengdu. This is part of our storyline.
Historical Pacific and other website content: We're working on this as well.
English Kannu stuff: I'm working on it.
Idolmaster-Avengers Crossover: So far that's just released in China. I don't know if we can do it here in the US because of how sue-happy Disney is, and even though the book really doesn't do anything beyond parodying Avengers concepts I'm not sure if we or b1nproductions is interested in taking the risk.

That and like, four other projects. xD

Another question I have is has anyone outside of Japan's fractured military factions wanted to use the shipgirls for conventional warfare? I understand so far only Japan has done so but the temptation to use them in the fight against Communism or Capitalism most be too strong for either side not to be tempted to do so.

I'm actually going to answer this one in the same go as another question.

(Translated) So. It is clear that STEC is a military organization as well.

How is it that America can keep things secret from everyone else, and why or what would convince American commander to not use shipgirl for conventional missions? From reading book 2 (I picked this up and like it a lot) it seems that the kanmusu are very strong and very fast and possibly invincible to standard weapons such as guns and maybe even cannon. If you have a super-powered being why not use it?

First of all, to answer the first question, you have to think about what the purpose about conventional warfare is. It isn't to just destroy say, an opponent's squad or platoon. Winning a war often requires an entirely different set of objectives.

Secondly, Japan has policies in place to use shipgirls for conventional warfare. They certainly might have been driven to do so, if it weren't for a particular incident mentioned in AR2. Of the other countries, they see it as a matter of MAD. The Soviets don't want to send in their shipgirls if they can help it, and neither does the UK. France only recently joined in the shipgirl program so they're basically operating under British command (as of '90, STEC command). After what happened in the 70s (you'll see more of this in AR3 or Abyssal) the United Naval Command - UNC - has more or less turned into an inactive organization because for a good period of time the Abyssals simple DID NOT attack in any meaningful way.

You see the trouble here? It's as if the Abyssal Fleet is intentionally exploiting humanity's own penchant for argumentation and fracturing.

Which brings things to the US. The US discovered the Abyssals first, and STEC has been at this for longer than anyone else. Coupled with the US's massive military capabilities and a strong tradition in special operations, I think it's pretty certain that the US is the strongest "shipgirl" power. However, it just so happens that the American shipgirls are driven by a strong sense of responsibility (and values, particularly that of freedom). Neither the US command nor US shipgirls really want to be a simple tool, and in this particular setting, the US is far more conservative with its power projection and interventions.

So, to answer the question. The countries that want to do it cannot, and the countries that can (US, currently) don't want to.

As for how STEC can keep itself secret? Easy. First of all, they stay out  of the public eye. Secondly, STEC makes pretty public reports in terms of its research. People know that STEC is working on advanced metallurgy or radar, for instance, and everything else can rightfully stay classified, but there's very little reason to investigate an organization like this. Thirdly, STEC is physically located away from any major population centers. Fourthly, as noted in OCEAN, STEC is quite good at gathering information and intelligence, and can pre-emptively meet any conspiracy rumors that it runs into (or simply recruit those into STEC).

Then let's not get into actual superpowers. But yes, the more you think about it, the more you'll realize that secrecy actually isn't implausible at all.

do you have plans on adding PT Boats?  would they be manned by fairies and defend bases and certain locations from the enemy?

Not for vol. 3, but I can't comment for anything further.

Fairies already play a significant role. Nevada has army fairies (STEC hasn't quite figured out what they want to do with them yet), but Narwhal and Nautilus has SF fairies that you've seen. One of our newest shipgirls - Libby - has an assortment of fairy crew in a logistical role as well.

(Translated) How do Japanese shipgirls feel about the war?

Depend on Japanese shipgirl.

(Translated) Also if I am reading the bits right, some Japanese shipgirls in the English speaking Kancolle forum are located in American base? Why is this?

This is actually more of a matter of practicality. So far, the US is the only one with a mobile naval base in the Pacific. It makes sense for Japan to send some of their shipgirls to study and understand how the system works. After all, the US is trying to hook the rest of the shipgirl powers up with the MERLIN system in anticipation to further attacks. x)

(Translation) What's your relationship with Zero, exactly? Are you guys brothers?

If we are familial in nature I'd say more like a set of twins.

Relationship is kind of an odd way to ask this question. I guess, everything? xD From collaborator to friend to whatever else you want to name it?

MORGANE WHEN ARE YOU RELEASING THE ENGLISH VERSIONS IT'S AUGUST AND I WANT A COPY FOR MY COFFEE TABLE

*deflects to Zero*

Specifically, remember we're literally a 3-man core operation for the logistical side of things. We've got volunteers and stuff but at the same time, we need to safeguard the "rights" of our people as well. Zero is a very cautious business "commander," and we haven't really had any economic mis-steps and would like to keep it that way.

Honestly, I'd say that now that we do have US conventions lined up? Things are probably looking up. It's just in this environment it's super difficult for us to set anything up x)

(Translated) Corean?

No. But, if it makes you feel better I believe we're thinking about visiting South Korea at some point.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-9-27 15:33:18
| Show all posts
No update today due to me getting home late & the team literally moving about or getting computer fixed. xD

We will probably have more chibis down the road though.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-9-28 17:03:04
| Show all posts
Alright, at sometimes after Comiket my inbox blew up, with a number of questions from Chinese individuals. Some questions are related to 2016, some Pacific. A lot are very personal in nature and I'm not sure answering any of those would really be relevant to Pacific x)

In no particular order (this is all a batch of stuff around late August):
- I am neither a cat nor a dog person. Animals are alright, but honestly, I'll take the rights of a human over an animal any day of the week.
- I am not ethnically Chinese.
- I learned Chinese in college. You kinda get better at it since I spend quite a bit of time, well, trolling about various websites. I'd be sad if I didn't get better.
- I'm less "pro-China" as much as I am against the idea that "OMG CHINA EBILSSSSSSSS" that we have a tendency to push out. Again, to re-iterate, I support Chinese sovereignty. I think what China does with China is really none of our business. There are many things that I don't feel like we have the right to criticize, and I hate the idea of my country being a hypocrite. - I like meat over vegetables? Like, seriously. You're asking someone from the American northeast. Is that even a question?
- Oregon's a nice place but I've never been in it myself. No reason to visit, really.
- Who's my favorite celebrity? Man, do I look like the type that knows anything at all in regards to popular culture to you? I can't even name like, any of the pop singers or actresses and stuff. I am really more of a book person.
- Wuxia is a very unique genre, yes, but this isn't anything exceptionally unusual. It's a form of heroic literature.
- My favorite news sources... Now here's an interesting one. As you've seen, I don't really fit well in the typical right or left categories. I think it's more that there are a series of issues that I tend to veer on, and those range heavily. If I were to pick sort of one source, I like NPR for something that I typically associate with the left, the Atlantic for something generally centerish, and the Federalist for something on the right. Those three I check fairly regularly, though I won't hesitate to step into HuffPo or InfoWars if they have interesting news.
- I'm from New Jersey. Your spiciness means nothing to me, and yes, I've tolerated "Chinese spicy" fine.
- I actually don't quite know why the influx of COREA or KOREA. I think it could be some 4ch trolling, to be honest. Have had that before and it does sound like something that one or two bored dudes might do.
- Again, I've already answered this. I am not who you think I am. Char Aznable and Quattro Bajeena, to say nothing of Casval rem Deikun, has nothing to do with one another. It's silly to think that I'd be that person just because of suspiciously similar avatars. ;)
- I really can't draw worth shit. Seriously. The artists are November and Sima.
- We don't typically recruit. New teammates have a tendency to literally just pop up. Either that or they volunteer and we work stuff out.
- Here's the real issue. I don't know anything about the size of anime communities. It is easy to create an impression of activity if you have like, fifty to a hundred or so active users. For KanColle, off the top of my head, I'd say there's Himeuta, the reddit, the wikia and the wiki (both have IRCs and chats of I believe around 20-50 regulars, correct me if I'm wrong). I also post at a World of Warships thread, but I honestly have no idea what the biggest anime communities are in English, nor do I know how many KanColle fans there are. I'm sure /a or what-nots have popular threads, but again, the other thing I don't know is how much overlap exists.

For instance, I occasionally lurk on a forum called SpaceBattles. They appear to have a related site called Sufficient Velocity, but from my understanding many of the posters sort of ... over lap? So it's really really hard for me to gauge how many regulars there are in those threads. Does that make sense?
- Please do not mail me anything. Thanks.
- If I'm to be honest? Your penis is small and unattractive.
- If I was working for the CIA would I tell you? For the record, no. Not that you have any reason to believe me.
- I am not an American-born Chinese. The closest thing you can get is that I have some family friends that are Chinese. That's about it.
- I haven't attended medical schools in China so I wouldn't know, but American medical programs are very structured. You get quite a bit of stuff crammed in in a short, focused time period.
- What kind of a dumb question is that, will I keep on making Pacific? Do people just, I dunno, stop liking cars or something after they graduate? Of course I'm not going to stop. I'm just getting things started!
- There are many things I can't do. I can't into humor to save my life, as an example.
- Draa is a real person. Yes. Believe it or not.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-9-30 11:58:59
| Show all posts
I think I'm catching a cold, so no substantial post today.

Just a little fun eight-bit New Jersey. xD

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-10-2 12:47:29
| Show all posts
Apologies. As I mentioned earlier, I was down the last few days with a mild headache and a cold. It is flu season, so I hope you all take care of yourselves.

November's been busy, but there's a lot of stuff behind the scenes. Today I'll answer one question, though.
Can you explain a little behind why the shipgirls in Pacific have equipment the way they are?

(Not saying I don't like them, but there seems to be a certain kind of "ordinariness" to them?)

I'm going to use Northampton as an example, since I think this is as clear as it gets when it comes to our rigging design. You'll notice that we (November, Sima) tend to follow a basic sort of set-up with our characters. Generally, Pacific shipgirl equipment has what would be a smokestack equivalent located at the back (with almost no exceptions), and weapon hard-points flanking the individuals in question.

It's now about three years in, and anthro-moe with military equipment is pretty much all over the place. Not only are there shipgirl games, but tank girls, plane girls, gun girls, you name it. A lot of people have their own designs, and plenty are creative. However, what we choose to do with our characters is really just meant to highlight a couple of consistent themes in Pacific.

1. Shipgirls are people, not objects, not weapons of war.
2. The "rigging" itself is powerful, but our shipgirls generally function at super-human levels. However, just because you can fight off an Abyssal barehanded doesn't mean you should when you have other tools available. Equipment obviously makes things better, but a soldier shouldn't be worthless without a gun. Makes sense?
3. We really want to make it clear to the reader that these are things that you can take off, and that all the other equipment they have - e.g. Helena's thigh searchlight as an example - are like additional modular components of her equipment that can be added to their loadout. In the same way as say, a special forces team wouldn't always carry one set of weapons, but adjust their weapon setup for different situations, so do the shipgirls.

This is probably one of the biggest reasons why you don't see the shipgirls wearing "fins" on their feet. As you can see from Enterprise or Arizona, those are really more like attachable covers that you can put over your shoes. Ditto with say, Maury's "greaves"-looking things. Mahan probably provides the best example of this.

You see how that is literally attached and secured to her heel? That's what I mean. Nothing we do is accidental, and those foot attachments have a multitude of different functions depending on size, shape, and attachment.

"If these things appear to be so configurable, then, can we not send the cute girls out to fight the giant sea monsters? Can someone else do it?"

I think every single person in the world of Pacific has asked this question (in-universe) at some point. And the answer so far is no. That's what creates an interesting point of tension. Despite humanity's best efforts so far, they still cannot create anything even remotely close to the shipgirl gear in terms of sophistication and power. Those things require fairies to function, too, so it's not like any random Joe can pick up the stuff (actually, by STEC testing, most people couldn't even lift the shipgirl rigging - more on this at a latter point and it's not because it's miniaturized warship or whatever have you, though again, from an in-universe perspective certainly some of STEC's scientists think this to be the case).

Blahblah power dynamic blahblah interjection blah balance of characterization blah. Done.

Okay, so I shouldn't be updating when sick. I reserve the right to clarify elements of this post when I don't have a cold. x)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-10-4 07:34:40
| Show all posts
(Alright, nothing up there needs to be retconned. Good.)

Now that we're entering October, I think it's time to sort of look ahead and gauge where we'll be at for the next six months. Despite having handed off a lot of daily operations to another, we still really only have one person on logistics (Zero). So here's roughly where our schedule is.

1. We're going to aim for AnimeBoston again this year. Hopefully the VISA thing wouldn't be an issue.
2. At some point Zero'll head over to Shanghai, afterwards our path looks largely similar to what we tried last year. I.E. Singapore-Malaysia/Indonesia, Shanghai, Beijing, Japan for winter comiket. The good news is that unless the store folks are busy, our own operations won't shutdown.

Books:
1. I think it's safe to say that Pacific vol. 3 won't be out by the end of the year, but we'll start showing previews soon enough. There's too many things for us to handle at the moment to try to rush it out, so we might as well take things slowly instead.
2. There will be a Japanese reprint of AR1 (possibly combined with AR2). I don't believe there will be anything new other than what I'll be putting on the site, but the sticker sheets will likely be making a return.
3. Alongside that, I believe 2016 is ... well, it's not actual Pacific, per se, but it does act as a sort of spinoff. That might be a separate work created by us with cameo appearances from our characters, but that's DEFINITELY a thing at this point, and it'll be released only in Asia to my understanding.
4. I'm not sure if this means we'll be releasing our own Abyssal book (well, technically, it's AR3) at the same time, or do it one convention later, but it's the difficulty in determining how to stagger content. While I'm pleased that we're at a point where there are multiple things going on, this has arrived a little earlier than I had anticipated, and unfortunately, as I am quickly learning, sometimes the job is bigger than one person.

- A lot of maintenance, mostly the latest update to wordpress has destroyed some functionality. We also struggle with handling bursts of traffic, but that might be due to where the server is hosted, rather than anything else in particular.
- I'm looking for a way to mirror what I do automatically to the frontpage, but admittedly, that hasn't gone too well. x) I'm nowhere close to having the proper expertise to understand how websites work, but we'll be updating a few more of the plugins that we have been using (many of which are no longer being maintained). Trying to learn everything on our own is an exercise in itself, but hey, at least we're learning.
- K9 and Sune are largely poking around the wiki, and I'll start mirroring stuff there as soon as I can catch a breather (ha).

General misc:
- I've cleaned the question backlog to about September, so we're now only one month behind rather than five-six weeks. I'm hoping that September is a lighter load (forums yes, email inbox about the same).
- As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm personally happy as to where the site is at. We haven't had any crashes, and I've largely poked my head in on a daily basis. Sometimes that's a victory in itself. x)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-10-5 14:37:00
| Show all posts
Website is having stability issues - Zero is on it now.

I'd say we're sending fairies but fairies wouldn't let the website go down. xD

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-10-6 14:06:44
| Show all posts
HEY FUCK YOU

japn did nothing wrong WAS INVADE BY IMPERILAIST AMERICAN FORCE!!!!1

MILLION OF JAPANESE ARE KILL

FUCK USA

FUCK ALLIE

JAPAN 4EVER

Please feel free to insult me or my country using your native tongue, because I'm not sure how I should respond to that.

Hi! I know you probably won't answer this question but here goes.

Are you single?

I'm answering the question now. Why, what's the difference to you?

After reading some of Barret Tillman's Midway, it wouldn't be a good idea to give Enterprise alcohol after a stressful, but successful mission right? (As the crew of Enterprise and Hornet got pretty drunk after Midway, trashed some of the hotels and got into a huge brawl with lying army pilots)

If the way you're phrasing this question is "Does Enterprise hit the bottle hard after a stressful but successful mission?" the answer is probably no. Let me explain why.

My own reading and speaking with folks who's actually been on those missions give me the impression that EVERYONE more or less does very similar things. Battle is stressful, and as my family members would put it, it's like you want to have a good time since you don't know if you'll still be alive tomorrow. There's a very "seize the day" or "live for the moment" type of mentality to it. If they get a chance to drink and have a good time, they will.

Thus, it is my opinion that assigning traits like HARD PARTIER or HARD DRINKER isn't distinctive enough to make it an interesting characterization point. How I would do it, for instance, is to casually drop hints about specific incidents for people to pick up on so they can find the stories on their own. If I were to write a similar thing, for instance, I might name-drop a specific brewery or a specific kind of beer. You can see an example of this of the Black Cat in Okie's profile.

What would happen to the shipgirls if the abyssals were defeated, disappeared, or, heck, just decided to pack up and go home? Do they just live out the rest of their lives as regular people? It has been mentioned that shipgirls in Pacific do not age the same way that normal humans do. Would they lose this "immortality"? (I expect that several if not all nations would try to move their shipgirls into their conventional militaries, especially if they do not start aging normally.)

Would they instead disappear in the same way that Iowa just sort of showed up?

Good question. Let me consult with the team to see if anyone want to comment on this ;)

For now? The Abyssals haven't been defeated yet, so the point is a little moot. Would the shipgirls want to live out their lives out at peace? Some would. Iowa would probably just want to retire to a farm and live a quiet life for the rest of her days. Some, like Pennsy or Sanny probably wouldn't. They'd want to go into the public eye, like say, perhaps into politics.

I'll note that the shipgirls themselves don't actually quite know what'll happen after the Abyssals are gone. Some of the more superstitious ones definitely think that they'll just disappear (Okay, bad example, Marby's a bit of a romantic ditz and probably read one too many Tolkien books to articulate that well), but most are not concerned about the future as much as they're focused on today.

Do shipgirls like Maury also engage in Black Ops activities for the US Government on the side? And if so, is she the type to prefer nonlethal means of takedown, or does she prefer killing?

There has been no evidence of "black ops" activity carried out by the US Government using shipgirls.

STEC will not and do not use shipgirls to carry out objectives that are not directly related to counter-Abyssal activities, and STEC has never budged from this position. To do so would not only be a breach of trust (both within STEC's mission and the shipgirls themselves), but this would provide the Abyssal Fleet with a distinctively powerful wedge to drive between the countries of Pacific's world.

(Translated) How recent does Pacific's history follow actual history? Will Ronald Reagan make an appearance, for instance, or will we start to move into the modern times? Is George W. Bush going to be president in Pacific's timeline? How about Barack Obama?

ALSO TRUMP 2016 ALL HAIL THE MAN-EMPEROR OF MANKIND

This is a hard point that I haven't quite decided yet. As you can see, I've only seriously fleshed out activities under the Truman and Eisenhower administrations because I'm familiar with them, and spent a lot of time researching them to make sure the early parts of Pacific history makes sense. In general, while I can't answer that question, I'm going to say that we largely try to maintain historical plausibility.

For instance, if we're going into the 1992 election, assuming that everything happens exactly as it does, I would say that there is a good possibility of a Bill Clinton victory, a reasonable possibility of George H.W. Bush victory (as an alternative possibility), a Ross Perot victory (slim, but not unlikely), or some alternative. However, you must think about things from our perspective as the creator as well. In other words, what would I try to show, or what does the reader learn by seeing the name of the president referenced?

In general, I'll say that barring a few historical figures, many of the individuals in Pacific are, well, fictional characters. They may be based on real life characters, but I think I prefer, from the perspective of pure narrative, to simply refer to the president as the President.

Big triple guns with 2 funnels, one clearly taller than the other. I think we have a North Carolina here.

An astute observation.

Yes, believe it or not, November's alive and well. He's working hard like the rest of us. :)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-10-7 16:24:41
| Show all posts
Note: We're going to be shifting a few things around in the site (and possibly the forums) in anticipation to a line of upcoming conventions. x)

Also, I just got back in, so I guess any substantial updates will have to wait for tomorrow. :(

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-10-9 04:13:54
| Show all posts
Quick note: Zero has his hands full managing our next event, and the artists are drawing. I had a super busy day yesterday, and only managed to get to the computer now.

We are in the process of re-organizing our site due to a lot more than just Pacific (I guess Pacific into other books now xD), and insofar as I'm concerned, such organization is necessary. I've also finally given up on installing APIs on the wiki - it'll be what it is, and we'll figure out a way to consolidate all of our updates in one spot.

Meanwhile, other than Yorktown, the first officially "revealed" character for vol. 3 is Caroline. You can see that this is only a rough sketch - we're working out the kinks and details of her outfit specifically. Since we've solidified on her design, I really want to give her a dress of at least demi length, but what cut to use, what style to apply. Those are all decisions that  more or less come down to me - after all, I'm the one that (nominally) knows about fashion design. xD

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-10-9 18:13:38
| Show all posts
The struggle continues with wiki templates and tables. I'm learning a lot, but I'm a little annoyed by how long it's taking me to learn some very basic things. x)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-10-10 12:49:42
| Show all posts
Hello everyone! Shaw here! Morgane wanted me to tell you that she can't "into wiki templates." I'm not sure what that means. Actually, I'm not even sure what a "wiki" is. But Shaw'll be trying her best too! Yay, Pacific!

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-10-13 13:57:03
| Show all posts
I'll drop a note to say that I'm alive, but I'm going to head back to bed.

Will properly update tomorrow. Until then, have a chibi Chester.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-10-14 14:50:45
| Show all posts
Alright. While I'm still not entirely here (real-life work needs to be caught up), I want to note a couple of things.

1. We're making a return to Boston. We've already registered again, so if nothing goes wrong, we'll probably be launching Pacific there in English.

Regarding what we're doing with the rest of the site - we're going to be consolidating it. Unfortunately, we've all got our hands full. So I'm going to say sorry ahead of time that it's not looking too pretty.

2. What else are we working on? Well, plenty. 2016 will become a book and I believe that's our entry for winter comiket. No, unfortunately, they don't come with MAGA hats or I'm with her buttons. x)

There are also a very large smattering of things that are sort of being worked on at any given moment. Works such as these -

Honestly, I think my memory's failing me. xD Does that look familiar? I've posted the entire outline of the comic at some point, I think...

Most of the time the issue here is that we tend to throw it back into the forge to refine concepts further. Hey, like I said, we do this as a hobby, after all - though I'll admit we are interested in seeing just how far this hobby can go.

November's hard at work. Remember, his home area got hit by a very bad typhoon, so he was visiting home back then. He's doing alright, and we'll be pushing out vol. 3 when ready.

As for the questions, I think the rest of the team is leaning towards divesting me of the inbox duties. I'll still answer and read through the questions, but the amount of questions of a personal nature is getting to a point where it is distracting from Pacific as a whole. In the future we will focus on what is publicly visible and filter heavily the questions that end up in my inbox.

I'm aware that we've had a lot of fruitful discussion, ranging from politics to history. I appreciate a lot of you sending questions in - this includes some of those who believe that they hold unorthodox or unusual opinions regarding historical events. However, and loath I am to admit it, sometimes the bad drowns out the good. I get a spike of traffic, most of which are confrontational, after many major world events.

...Sorry if I'm not entirely coherent. Like I said, still trying to recover from illness. I'll be more cogent later.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-10-15 15:50:23
| Show all posts

Alright, listen up. There's going to be a few changes around here.

First of all, after some serious persuasion on our parts, the team'll be helping Morgane out with the questions. She still vets every single one of them and contributes when she is able, and nothing changes here - the team is still speaking as a whole with this thread.

However, and as you can see, some of the questions here are getting seriously out of hand. So I think it's best that she doesn't waste her time answering some of the trivial bullshit that's thrown her way. Take a look and you'll see what I mean.

(Translated) Do you like Chinese food? Also, is it true that Americans don't know how to cook?

Chinese food is great! Though, it does depend on who’s making it.

Go to a place with great steaks or burgers (No, McDonalds doesn’t count) and then tell me that Americans don’t know how to cook. ;)

(Translated) I notice that you sometimes comment on Japanese politics. So please excuse my bluntness in asking this question.

I notice that you have a strange position when it comes to Abe-san. On one hand you are very against his historical policies, yet speaking with your Japanese associate (who does not respond to me, my apologies for contacting you) you seem to admire some of his ideas and policies. How is this consistent? I would appreciate it if you may discuss your opinions in private if possible.

This is really more of a Sune question than a me question, but the short answer of the question is that I don't blame him for trying to do what he believes to be in Japan's best interests. Having a different (and I'll add, wrong) perspective on history is understandable given his goals.

To put it another way, I don't think I'm in a position to comment either - I'm not responsible for an entire nation's wellbeing.

(Translated) Will you come to China if Hillary wins the election?

Why?

HOW MUCH WOULD IT TAKE YUO FOR ME TO GET PACIFIC WAIFU

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

(Translated) I have a question about your comment in regards to American foreign policy in Pacific. You say it is weaker than it is today.

In OCEAN there is a specific note about Avalon fortress being located in the Pacific.

Is this not good evidence that American influence is stronger rather than weaker in Pacific?

Different - Less interventionist. Being less interventionist doesn’t mean it is “weaker”.

can i fuck missouri shes really hot also i wish there is hentai of pacific girls

Missouri is a fictional character.

Yo, Morgs. Who or what is "Bats"? Is this a typo?

(I feel like this question was asked before...)

Yo dude! Bats is the nickname of USS Batfish (SS-310). She’s one of the girls we have that have been mentioned but have never actually been properly ‘revealed’. Her Chibi’s floating around somewhere. She’ll get her time in the limelight soon. Her chibi's been around since at least last year.

COREA?

Нет. Это Россия.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-10-16 16:00:19
| Show all posts

Sometimes, our Abyssal can be cute too.

More stuff behind the scenes, mostly handling website load and security. Sorry no real substantial update today - but again, plenty of stuff to be done, and probably an announcement coming up soon regarding our physical spots. Singapore's almost a certainty, and I think Shanghai is going to be go as well. You guys also might see something else we're working on at Shanghai - but I don't want to talk too much more since I don't know if it'll be ready yet. xD

PS. Start peeking at the wiki once in a while. We won't be linking to it anytime soon on the main site (not going to present it to the public-public until it's done), but I feel like it'll be a good spot for me to dump some of the worldbuilding material and other related lore.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-10-17 13:38:55
| Show all posts
A very short update:

One of the things we've been doing just for fun are these chibis. A lot of these are random memes and whatnots, and they originally started out as scribbles used in internal team communications.

Then we're like, might as well tweak them a little bit. So now we have a list of chibis. xD

If anyone wants them we'll probably compress them down to appropriate sizes.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-10-18 15:09:37
| Show all posts
Alright, November put Sanny on Pixiv today. xD

This one as we noted in AR2 had a different look originally. We actually gave her white hair at first with a very "strict" looking hairstyle. Then we sat down and went, well, how do we make Sanny Sanny?

Look. You know anything about San Francisco? ;) Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

Everything from her open-toe booties to the fringe shawl to the thick-rimmed glasses should scream "hipster" to you. We're aware that it's something of an anachronism, but remember that the purpose of Pacific is to create shipgirls. That means we need to consider every aspect that makes a character a character. You absolutely CANNOT neglect the role San Francisco played in the sixties. Not to mention, if you think about it?

Personality-wise we're talking about someone who's on a bit of a short fuse. Philosophically asking, she's very progressive (She's voting Jill Stein xD) However, just as Pennsy isn't just a caricature of conservatism, it'd be a mistake to write Sanny off as your typical SJW. :)

Lastly, that tagline quote is a direct reference to Admiral Callaghan. It's an actual quote, the source of which can be attributed to Callaghan's bridge staff. We had a pretty heated debate within the team about the extent of which we can gauge Callaghan's effectiveness as a navy commander. Remember, unlike the vast majority of the community, I hold unorthodox opinions on a number of popular historical figures (Tamon-maru comes to mind).

In the end, though, I think we concur with the official USN assessment.

For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty during action against enemy Japanese forces off Savo Island on the night of 12–13 November 1942. Although out-balanced in strength and numbers by a desperate and determined enemy, Rear Admiral Callaghan, with ingenious tactical skill and superb coordination of the units under his command, led his forces into battle against tremendous odds, thereby contributing decisively to the rout of a powerful invasion fleet and to the consequent frustration of a formidable Japanese offensive. While faithfully directing close-range operations in the face of furious bombardment by superior enemy fire power, he was killed on the bridge of his Flagship. His courageous initiative, inspiring leadership, and judicious foresight in a crisis of grave responsibility were in keeping with the finest traditions of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the defense of his country.

--------
As a separate note, there's apparently more Pacific cosplay.

https://twitter.com/asiihoumiushi_i/status/778520440503279616

I don't want to cross-post without their explicit permission, but as Sune mentioned, I really like the detail they put in.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-10-19 22:16:13
| Show all posts
Attn: installing more plugins. Website might be behaving oddly. xD
You have to log in before you can reply Login | 立即注册

Points Rules

Mobile|小黑屋·Darkroom|书墓|书墓之心 ( 蜀ICP备15014333号 )

2017-10-23 04:55 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.258674 sec., 13 queries .