书墓之心

Forgot password?
 立即注册
Search
Author: Morgane

[原创] Pacific Updates (May 2016 - Ongoing)

[Copy link]

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-13 07:55:10
| Show all posts

Scouting from Zero: setting up.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-13 09:44:42
| Show all posts
So far so good. Zero report in that there's a pretty substantial line, and...

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-13 11:48:44
| Show all posts
Two hours and a half later, OCEAN is sold out. :) This might just be a record for us. xD Zero reports that it's a good time for lunch.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-13 13:58:36
| Show all posts
Two more hours later, NEIGHBORS has finished their entire stock of Pacific goods, including vol. 1 and 2. The ground team now gets to go home and celebrate early and have some fun.

Well, I'd like to think that went well. :)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-14 14:22:28
| Show all posts
I'll have more photos from Zero later. We don't have many, actually, since unfortunately we weren't able to secure a press pass. But again, like last time, it went very well. In fact, it went much better than even last year's, and we're very thankful for everyone's support - including the half-dozen of you that messaged me via email or other places that came to visit but found us gone. x)

Sorry, guys, we didn't think we'd sell out of books that quickly either. If you're ever interested in getting a Japanese copy of OCEAN, however, please check out NEIGHBORS.

https://www.melonbooks.co.jp/circle/index.php?circle_id=50077
https://twitter.com/CircleNeighbors

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-16 14:07:16
| Show all posts
Okay, after Comiket, Zero'll still be in Japan for a few days. Luckily, now that we've handed off at least the Chinese operations to a guy who runs a store full time, Pacific books won't stop shipping.

As for the English stuff, well, Zero needs to handle paperwork (which he can't do in Japan). I'll have an update next week on its status.

Other updates coming later. I do have another book ready to be revealed shortly. ;)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-17 13:19:22
| Show all posts
While I'm not quite ready to show Vol. 3, I do want to explain a bit about something else we might be working on.

Imagine Pacific being something like a puzzle. The way I go about world creation is basically to have something planned, and then slowly reveal each piece by piece. Some of the stuff explained in OCEAN, for instance, was hinted at in AR1.

This next book focused explicitly on the Abyssals is half lore-book, half in-universe storyline. Parts of it will resemble those ship/tank identification guides. Others will delve even deeper into what we've been talking about. At the end of the day, Pacific is a labor of love more than anything else. x) We really are beholden to our own schedule and whimsy (though that may very well be quite tightly controlled) and little else.  

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-18 14:18:54
| Show all posts
What does Mahan have to do with Egyptian Archaeology?

Mahan is likely the type to actually go dig for hidden secrets and truths, and the picture, well, let's just say it's a jab at the situation at hand. ;) Though I swear I answered this.

COREAN?

No. American.

Another question, how would conventional military forces respond during the outbreak of a full-scale Abyssal invasion? Considering how conventional weaponry is useless at killing Abyssals, only being painful distractions.

As powerful as the Abyssals are they still follow the laws of physics. Hit it hard enough - if you can hit it and it will crack and bleed. Killing it might be another matter, however, because these things are engineered explicitly to take on human militaries. I've said this before. They have all kinds of nasty ways to mess up human weapons.

Different countries have different strategic and tactical priorities. K9's comment here I'm going to bring up, because this is US-specific in terms of its doctrine.

Morgane's set it up so that the militaries of the world wouldn't be able to do much. How would the conventional forces of the world respond? Well, if it comes to that, the shipgirls have failed. The conventional forces of the world would fight back just as they would any other enemy, but it wouldn't be much of a fight. Humanity's basically done for at that point. That doesn't mean people haven't tried making Anti-Abyssal munitions though.

(As a side note, Morgane and I have actually argued quite a bit over this in the past. Morgane will give you a much more complete answer.)

Abyssal invulnerability? I'll wait for morgane to give you the full answer, if you want the lecture. Short answer is both. Magic and advanced tech. Though, Clarke's third law is always a thing ;)

The US is basically focused on the very idea that the USN and USAF MUST prevent the Abyssals from hitting land at any cost. A strategic assessment of the Abyssal potential to degrade and destroy resistance basically suggests that survival becomes untenable once they gain access to enough materials (via the destruction and subsequent consumption of biological matter) or if they can bring in enough reinforcements from ... whatever they come from.

For the US, virtually all of our major cities are coastal. STEC (and the US government) grapples with the prospect daily, because can you imagine the chaos it would cause if we need to evacuate New York or Los Angeles or Boston or Baltimore?

No. The buck stops here. There are and will be contingency plans, and STEC is working on solutions. So far, however, what STEC needs is not more material, but more time. The focus is to prevent the Abyssals from bringing in reinforcements and prevent them from "spawning" or "building" more troops on the planet. It's what STEC has been doing (arguably well) for the last twenty or so years.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-19 15:38:13
| Show all posts
Somewhat busy weekend, so updates will be a bit slow (more so than usual at any rate).

I posted a note on the status of doujin in Japan as a whole. Things are largely well, and this Comiket had something like 650k in attendance (? don't quote me on it).
https://forums.spacebattles.com/posts/24573085/

Plus, you can already find our stuff in stores in Japan. x) The wonders of modern technology.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-21 04:29:30
| Show all posts
WHY DON'T YOU EVER ANSWER MY QUESTIONS

I'm answering it now. x)

ARE YOU IGNORING ME?

No. Like I said, since I insist on answering everything in person, it means that stuff takes time.

Corea?

Do I need to FAQ this?

Relevant question, since from what you're hinting at in OCEANS (if I'm reading this one right) that the Abyssals are engaged in a shadow war with humanity. My question is that if the Abyssals are so powerful, why not just throw everything they have at their human opponents? Why wait for the shipgirls and humanity to build up strength?

Great, great question. I'm going to answer it with in-universe explanations, and let you think which one is more right.

- The simplest explanation is that the Abyssals can't. Despite their technological advantage, the Abyssal fleet is not invulnerable. After all, it wasn't until the 1970s that STEC FINALLY figured out what the things are doing in the ocean. The preface (and afterword) of Vol. 1 touches on this. Previously, STEC has (erroneously) assumed that the Abyssals are only largely here "randomly" (think Kaiju or Godzilla-esque monsters). They know from Iowa and others that there is a high degree of organization, and that there will be more than one monster. However, the full extent of which wasn't really discovered until that battle in 1977 - you'll see it in our next book or on our site soon enough.

- Another explanation is that the Abyssals are loathe to commit resources without good reason. By current time (1990), STEC has figured out (or think they figured out) what the Abyssal structure is. By all observation and analysis, it acts as a sort of beacon or at the very least a way to guide coordinates. In other words, as mentioned in a lot of the posts and etc here, you will see that the Abyssal fleet "warp" in their troops. How this is done is still under heavy debate, but think about this for a second. So far, all that's been observed is the simple fact that the Abyssals can "warp" their stuff into the world's oceans. If this is the case, why don't they warp something to the Californian coast? Why don't think warp something onto land, where we know that's one of their goals (or at least they benefit quite a lot from it)?

Again, the simplest explanation is that they can't. STEC has observed that almost all Abyssal entries have occurred near those aforementioned objects on the ocean floor. Hence, it seems reasonable for STEC to assume that those things act as locations for the Abyssals to drop at.

- Another reason could simply be arrogance. Humanity has always crumpled underneath an Abyssal assault. Maybe the intelligence behind the Abyssal fleet decides, eh, one's enough, and then gets an unpleasant surprise when stuff didn't work out.

- Another reason could be simple stupidity. Maybe the Abyssals didn't think things through. x) Though, given their actions, I would interject (as the author) in saying that this is extremely unlikely. ;)

Who is Petr?

Petr is a shipman. xD Originating from the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (WWFF) RP iterations of what Pacific was, I always wanted to write a character who's like, MANLY MAN MAN. As I dug more into the ship's history, however, and how our lore works out, I've decided to keep him and Mikhail around.

So yes, he is canon. We just haven't gotten to illustrating him yet. Petr belongs to basically the earliest generation of shipgirls that popped up around the 50s-60s. So he knew what things were like in an era before STEC or any of the other organizations have managed to get their acts together.

Is K9 or Sune (when she rarely makes relevant answers) canon? Also how come Draa never posts on the forums?

Yes. Draa is busy, and he prefers to stay behind out of the limelight anyways. x)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-22 14:00:18
| Show all posts
Hmm, apparently there's a typhoon in Japan as Zero's making his way back. I've had a long day so I just managed to get home now, but in general, hopefully he's going to be landing safely. We've got other things to carry out now that Comiket is "officially” over.

Plenty of collaboration opportunities and new ideas. We'll announce as appropriate. x)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-23 15:21:08
| Show all posts
Morgane, I have a follow-up question regarding an earlier conversation we were having. You mentioned that the ship girls are like modern day infantry fire-teams. Why doesn't the abyssals use infantry counter-tactics to fight the shipgirls instead? Saturating an area with bullets is one thing, but why don't the abyssals create their own human-sized spec-op teams to hit the shipgirls mano-a-mano?

We're actually playing with a few designs right now, and we're trying to figure out which direction to take our humanoid, non-named-character Abyssals toward. This is what we currently favor (though I confess a lot of it is Sune's prodding for cute SoL potential in non-canonical works).

They're almost certainly going to be ambush attackers, because if shipgirl weaponry can tear through bigger things, it's unlikely that they'll be able to take the shipgirls head-on. Almost certainly too is the prospectus of these things lurking beneath the water. Again, shipgirl weaponry is powerful, but unlike the subgirls, they're almost entirely centered around the surface and air. The abyssal fleet has an additional angle to exploit (the ocean's depths) which they'll definitely be maximizing to their advantage.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-24 22:40:46
| Show all posts
Alright, Zero's landed safely. I've got pictures coming later. For now:

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-25 15:06:10
| Show all posts
We're currently in the last stages of putting out a wiki for Pacific. :)
Well, not quite. What we're thinking of is a wiki-like site that basically has all of our lore and whatnots in one spot. It makes for translation of materials easier (something we've always grappled with), and makes expansion efforts easier as well. Surprise, perhaps, but we'll soon be consolidating what we've made and have a sort of online "primer" to go with our printed books. It's something that we're going to try out, and I think there's a decent chance that it'll work.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-26 15:59:56
| Show all posts
Wiki is up, working on templates and whatnots.

For now, what we're going to do is probably a gallery-esque type thing. We'll eventually open it up to folks that want to contribute or edit the wiki themselves, but for now, I see it as another way to showcase content.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-28 00:40:09
| Show all posts

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-29 15:11:46
| Show all posts
While I'm still sorting out the wiki (mostly reading over licensing and whatnots just to make sure we aren't breaking any laws), updates will likely be slow this week. We're installing a few plugins behind the scenes, and are looking into ways to disable that captcha (though you have to admit, it's kept spambots out so far).

No major announcements, other than a Chinese version of OCEANS that I'm working on with the help of our translators is nearly done. The actual process is that as I finish writing a particular piece, each translation into a new language carries with it some new nuances, and I often go back to clarify or improve upon the language used in my original work.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-30 15:10:56
| Show all posts
Morgane, you need help. Seriously, why don't you get a secretary?

(This is from like a month ago, so yes, I know. But again, I enjoy answering questions. Even the Corea ones xD. So why wouldn't I go ahead and keep on doing what I like to do?)

Also Lexington= Blood Magpie right? (Blood Ravens)

Sort of. The Blud Revans isn't the first reference that I'd think of, though it's definitely up there.

The reason why Lexington "loots" things is from anecdotal details from my family. My gramps on both ends of the family had a lot of brothers and almost all joined the navy. So between my entire clan there's a pretty big number of stories. One particularly entertaining note was the marine contingent stationed on CV-2 were always complaining about hand-me-downs (in a sort of good natured way). Tl;dr is that if it's not bolted down, the marines will go in and "requisition" it. That includes, incidentally, guns.

I have no way of independently verifying the story, but reading recollections from army quartermasters made it seem very likely. Hence that part of her personality stuck and we're rolling with it.

another question, do they have hobbies and if so any examples? also what happened to the 4koma?

Yes. Define hobby.

BC is busy running the blockades in China on behalf of his family's tea business.

(Translated)
You're somewhat critical when it comes to the Pacific theatre and the events that has occurred. Has it never occurred to you that you might be rooting for the wrong side here?  Look at what happened after World War II, where all of Asia with the exception of a few went red. How could you say that America was doing the right thing when all we wanted was to liberate our fellow brothers from their oppressive masters?

Oh, one of these people. This is somewhat brief, but let me lay down a few points.

Simply put, ask the South Koreans or the Chinese and I think you'll get a different perspective. For the record, I hold no personal animosity towards the Japanese despite having had familial casualties in the Pacific War. To put it simply, Japan was an aggressor in World War II. It invaded countries such as China, forcefully colonized places like Korea, and made a very active and concreted effort to eradicate and eliminate their indigenous cultures - the policy of kominka comes to mind.

No amount of good the Japanese accomplished - and in all honesty, those were few and far in between - could have made up for the absolutely brutal way in which they ruled over their subjects. Look at materials from the time period, and you'll find that the tokkin - the non-Japanese inhabitants of Asia - were treated as something worse than dirt. I find it incredulous that anyone can support the proposition as you're suggesting without willfully ignoring the historical context or otherwise willing to justify the twisted ideology that the Empire of Japan used at the time. I think it's wrong for a country to invade another and to try to intentionally exterminate the indigenous population.

As for Asia going red, I assume you're talking about China?

I'm going to recommend one book, written by an American journalist named Jack Belden. You can find the full text here.

http://www.chinashakestheworldbook.com/TextFrameset.htm

This is just one perspective, of course, but please read that and then tell me why you think China went "red." xD
NOTE: That book has a lot of disturbing photos. It's a book recording war. Expect to see dead bodies and worse.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-31 15:03:57
| Show all posts
COREA?

... No, man, sorry. Not Korean. I've already answered this question like, fifty other times!

(Translated)
Do you guys ever think you want to make a game at some point? I mean if you did a mobo I would play it every day.

Thanks, but mobile games aren't on our radar at the moment. I'm focused on creating a story first and foremost. If we wanted to monitize this we'd have shut ourselves down and sold Pacific already. x)

(Translated)
Why do you post at odd hours in the day? Are you really American? Or are you a fat Chinese otaku just messing with us?

Some of my team knows what I look like. Most of you never will, and honestly, I don't see how that's relevant.

I post at odd hours because that's when I have time. I'm a medical student. If I don't have med school and a few other things I'm juggling, I think this thing can update a lot faster.

(Translated)
Is Sune really Japanese? Your entire team smells very Chinese to me.

Yes.

November and Zero and Sima are all Chinese, but I don't see where you're going with this.

(Translated)
Why don't you guys get some real talent from Taiwan?

Bwahahaha. Okay. Now I see where this is from. Guy, if you want to stir up inter-strait relations, you should ask about things like Taiwanese independence or something, rather than do this roundabout dance thing you're doing now. xD

(Translated)
I see fairies have land units (Sorry, my Japanese is shit so I assume this is what you mean) so does this mean that the NKT will have land based units to fight the Abyssals on land? Would be interesting to see since many Japanese destroyers assisted in landing operations and some even ferried troops.

This is an interesting way to ask the question, so the answer is probably, "yes." Yes in the sense that Japanese land-based fairy units can conceivably exist, but none have shown up in the setting yet.

Secondly, uh, I don't know what the NKT's thinking, but I'm not sure if letting the Abyssals in our setting hit land is a good idea. Since you can probably read the language, try looking at AR2's section with the Soviet ARC program to answer your question.

(From Sune)
MORGANE WHY THE FUCK DO YOU BOTHER ACTUALLY CROSS-POSTING OR ANSWERING THEIR QUESTIONS AGAIN IN PUBLIC ISN'T REPLYING TO THEIR MESSAGES GOOD ENOUGH?

Er, etiquette. That, and some of the questions can potentially be useful to other readers. Other times, like the Corea questions I'm just mildly entertained by.

(From Sune, again)
ARE YOU GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP?

Oh, like you're one to talk. x)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-9-1 14:34:05
| Show all posts
Alright, neat. First of a TV spot is out. We're cameoing here. :)

http://www.fujitv.co.jp/b_hp/160830otakaru/

Yay, free publicity~
You have to log in before you can reply Login | 立即注册

Points Rules

Mobile|小黑屋·Darkroom|书墓|书墓之心 ( 蜀ICP备15014333号 )

2017-10-23 04:56 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.363731 sec., 13 queries .