书墓之心

Forgot password?
 立即注册
Search
Author: Morgane

[原创] Pacific Updates (May 2016 - Ongoing)

[Copy link]

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-7-14 21:08:55
| Show all posts
Head's up. A ton of logistical updates on our end, so updates will either be super regular or not at all. x)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-7-17 04:04:16
| Show all posts
Why aren't you answering my emails?

Because I've been busy. x)

ENGLISH PACIFIC WHEN?

Check the website. Jesus, I swear I get this question like every month.

Are you still playing KanColle?

Yes, though my attention is generally pretty lacking. I'm far more casual these days than before.

So I haven't seen anything from you guys recently. What's up? Are you still working on things?

Oh, yeah. It's just been really busy around these parts. Between the new book (tentatively called OCEANS or Around the World), a couple of Pacific-related initiatives, GG, a new thing, I'm going to remind you again that it's literally:

Me working at my capacity, assisted by a full-time doc, a full-time student, and a full-time engineer (that's not taking into account our researchers and other support personnel). I still take personal initiative on every single piece we put out, so you can imagine it's not easy since I'm a full time medical student too. xD
November and Sima (and occasionally BC but he's literally been busy) who draws stuff. Both have other jobs and responsibilities.
Zero who runs everything else. Ditto the above.

Someone's actually made an analogy that what we do is similar to Life of Boris. I don't think we're anywhere close to being that entertaining, but generally yes, we do this as a hobby. We've turned down plenty of opportunities to monetize this thing because it wouldn't be the same. We have grander plans, of course, but we're happy about what we're accomplishing, and we're happy doing what we want to do.

How canon is Mr. Corsair's Pacific Quest?

Er, that's kind of an odd question. You're gonna have to define canon for me.

Are you ________?

(Username redacted)

Is Char Aznable and Quattro Bajeena the same person? No. Of course not. Therefore I have no relations whatsoever with the person you're thinking of.

What is the role of the conventional military if the shipgirls are sorta, superpowered? Y'all see where I'm coming from right? Why don't they just make more shipgirls?

Shipgirls are unique entities in Pacific and cannot be "constructed" like in the game. This isn't like the Kagero series or other works where you can just get young women to put on superpowered equipment and be a shipgirl - though certain factions are certainly thinking along those lines.

The conventional military of each major power takes different paradigms in mind when formulating counter-Abyssal strategies. The U.S. is very much a mobile taskforce. Avalon is but one piece in an important network of defenses. Generally, because of how long STEC's been around, the US overwhelmingly prefers to stop the Abyssals on the seas, and considers land-based fortifications or land-based defense lines to be a literal matter of last resort based on known capabilities of the Abyssal Fleet.

Contrast this with the NKT, whose strategists are largely fractured. Some believe that it is necessary to capitalize on Japan's terrain and defend the territory in a sort of Maginot-line like defense "grid." Some think that to defend the home islands is futile, and it's best to secure some kind of pan-national alliance where retreat inwards into land is a better idea. Some think it's best to try to do what the Americans are doing, which has the added boon of allowing Japan to project power so to influence other regional interests. Because of the de-centralized nature of the Japanese high command post the Hyuuga incident, there is currently no real "strategy" involved.

(Chinese) What happened to the World of Pacific thread?

Archived and being redesigned for additional content.

Do the girls live on base or off-base?

Both.

so if ask Pennsylvania for a hug would she let me or would she punch me in the gut?

Depends on who you are.

So, ummm, this may sound like an "awkward" question but, have any of the girls, aside maybe from Helena, slept with someone, male or female, before? I don't know, but this question has been bothering me for quite some time...

That's kind of a personal question, don't you think? For that matter what makes you think Helena's slept with someone already?

I am neither affirming or denying the possibility of Helena having slept with someone, so don't take this answer as an answer other than the fact that I've acknowledged the question exists.

I've noticed how Wisky, Edsall, and O'Bannon have a form of sword in their character art, Edsall in particular. As a fencer myself, I'd like to think these three are fencers in their off-time. Would this be true?

Sure, plenty of shipgirls know how to fence or use melee combat weapons. However, if you mean purely sport fencing, you're really looking at Lou as the best swordsman out of the US group. Surcouf is also very good, though she doesn't look the part.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-7-19 19:55:50
| Show all posts
There's a new 2016 piece out. For those of you that get triggered by Trump, fear not. He's not in the picture.

No, the "project" that I'm talking about isn't this one. x) Though Sima has been drawing cute little chibi derps.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-7-21 19:55:13
| Show all posts
As we're finishing OCEANS up for publication (That's what we're going to be using as a working title for that book, I think), we're already looking into other books. xD

That being said, though, I'm glad that relevant characters are making an appearance. It's hard to capture character personalities in a single line sometimes, but I think this'll turn out to be quite fun.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-7-23 11:57:55
| Show all posts
WHO WAIGUF IS ????//

(Yo, I'm serious, this is an actual email)

Because we're busy working on stuff. x)

Is Sune still around? How come she never answers any of my questions about the Japanese navy?

You can ask her that. Yes. Residency is hard. x) That's why she's not around often anymore, but she's been working hard advising Sima on one of our Pacific-related projects. :)

How come you're never on WOWS anymore? :(

Because Morgane is noob and she can't into CVs after Alpha, alright?

New book when?

Jesus.

Why don't you post on Himeuta anymore?

We haven't had a new update recently. Besides, ever since this site came up, most of my (observable) hits come from over here, and we get more redirection from like, reddit and TVtropes and other sites. xD

Rmpdc_Dcstr94's question got me thinking. Would Helena f*ck me? I'm 6'8'', not that overweight, and pretty good looking (pic attached)

*facepalm* Bro, Helena is a fictional character, bro. What kind of fucking question is this? At least make it in-universe, for God's sakes!

I'll get to the rest of the open questions later. x)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-7-25 05:46:53
| Show all posts
So I'm really confused by the order in which you answer questions. Do you prioritize email over forum PM/posts?

Actually, no, largely random is a good way to describe it. I'm aware of questions on the forums - for instance types of music and whatnots, but some of those are either harder to answer, or I simply haven't found the time to answer those yet.

Is the new book (oceans?) going to be a multi-language release or an AR-like book but only for the Japanese?

Japanese first due to comiket. Then we go to Chinese. No word on English (though it's comparatively text light so I can just put it on the website or something) xD

Where's the English Pacific physical orders?

They're still working on it. xD I'm not the one handing the logistics and distribution for that, remember?

Can we get a hint at least as to what the other thing you're working on?

Which other thing? The other thing, the other-other thing, the other-other-other thing, or the thing Sima and I are working on?

Here you go.

So when can we expect to see the new book come out?

Comiket. x)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-7-26 13:35:20
| Show all posts
Can you update faster?

Sorta. Medical school's busy. But I'm doing my best. x)

Also did you accidentally leave ------ public? Why are you sitting on so much stuff and not posting it?

e_e Nope. Not anymore. x)

Needs to be revised. You saw a bit of text, but  a lot of it is draft and isn't quite ready to become "canonical," if that makes sense. We're pretty good about not retconning stuff, so I'd like to keep it that way if I can. :)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-7-27 19:56:18
| Show all posts
Apologies, folks. I've been so busy with IRL stuff that I literally fell asleep in front of the keyboard.

You'll have noticed that we have a new announcement in Chinese. The general gist of it is that we're officially handing over the Chinese physical distribution of Pacific books over to one of our friends. Here's what Zero had to say on the matter.

http://www.hon-haka.org/archives/1162
http://www.hon-haka.org/archives/1170 (English)

To clarify, we're only ceding control over the distribution of physical books. Not the production, or the content, or our website, or whatever else. Let's be honest here. When our response time is going from days to weeks, we need to do better. This is literally the only reason why we're doing it. It's all for you.

So this is our solution. I suspected that it's only natural that we'll have to do something like this, I just didn't think it would come less than two years into our creative process.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-7-28 12:43:58
| Show all posts
(I know there are questions in the general thread. I'm still thinking about some of those answers. Mostly because for instance, music, that really varies from person to person, and it's less a character "trait" that's definitive unless you're talking about someone like Tennsy who sings country.)

(That, and this is literally the backlog)

How is lore going to work for OCEANS? You say it's a SoL type thing but there's also going to be lore?

Quite. Let me explain a little about what we've got in mind.

While many of these images are SoL in nature, it is the implication and the narration (in that order) that makes it relevant to the storyline. Remember, this part of the book is still written from STEC's perspective. STEC does not know everything, and STEC is certainly not right about everything. Remember too that STEC has no inherent knowledge on certain things. Shipgirls, fairies, all of these things are not necessarily known to our characters in universe.

However, I am not writing this book for our characters explicitly. That is implicit. What I do is for the readers - you. You might be aware of certain references I've buried around the site or in other books. You might recognize some of the "unknowns" in the pictures. You, unlike STEC's scholars and archivists, know far more about the inner workings of the Abyssal Fleet than they ever will. Some of these sketches are much rougher than the other ones. This, too, is intentional.

So when I say, everything's "planned," it's literally that. You might be able to make the connections and guess - in STEC's stead - about the sort of things they could infer from these things. After all, put yourself in their shoes for a moment. There are all these pictures that you don't quite know where it's from. Some say it's from fairies. Some say it's from another world. Some (and there is definitive proof that this is the case) say it's the shipgirls trolling.

How are you going to make recommendations to leaders of your country? Based literally on a few photos, the veracity of which you are likely in doubt of? Take the above photo for instance. It's clear that those are ships. Yet what type, what location, why are some upside down, these are all things you can't really interpret without knowing more about the context of discovery.
For that matter, what's that white thing?

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-1 05:09:36
| Show all posts
Again, I won't have much time until maybe Tuesday due to IRL reasons (on top of the new book and everything else), but I do want to make one quick comment or answer a question from a week and a half ago.

When can we expect to see the new book in English?

This one is an exercise in word economy. The amount of text is much less than the Pacific books, since this was designed with the site in mind. My best answer is that probably sooner than Pacific 1's turnaround. xD

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-3 07:51:35
| Show all posts
As we resume somewhat normal operations (I was busy with IRL stuff for the last couple of days), I'd like to note what's coming up.

OCEANS is done. Off to the printers at this point, though Zero is busy figuring out VISAs and etc so he can be on the ground for Comiket 90.

Addition projects are to be revealed (based on completion) x)

We're now formally beginning vol. 3, and that'll be ready probably by Winter Comiket is our guess.

This is what the cover looks like. Yes, ORIONS characters are in this book too xD

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-4 23:49:43
| Show all posts
No OCEANS preview yet folks, sorry. x)

I'll get to the questions in a bit. But for now, a little something else.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-4 23:50:07
| Show all posts
No OCEANS preview yet folks, sorry. x)

I'll get to the questions in a bit. But for now, a little something else.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-6 12:34:59
| Show all posts
Alright guys, look to the site. Much of it is stuff you've seen before, though I expect a fair bit is probably new. :)

http://www.hon-haka.org/archives/1178

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-8 10:54:04
| Show all posts
A few questions pertaining to this, since Comiket is next week.

Who'll be there?

Just Zero I believe and the NEIGHBORS folks. I need to write. Nov and Sima needs to draw, and while Zero is ridiculously busy with our upcoming releases, this is something that he should do. :)

How much is the new book?

Probably the same as Pacific, though the Japanese ones are about 20$ give or take. As per our usual rule, it's out there, but we'd rather you wait to purchase the books in a language that you can read or understand.

Will Pacific vol. 1 make a return?

We've done multiple reprints already, which is rare for a doujin book. I am not aware of any plans for reprints in the near or far future.

Will it be available online?

Yes. Likely Melon for the Japanese book, and the website links to the store that now carries our books in the Chinese end. The English Zero is still working out the details.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-9 13:31:58
| Show all posts
COREA OR JAPAN WHICH IS BEST

USA! USA! USA!

(Okay, I seriously think whoever's sending me these things is a troll. I've known plenty of proud Koreans and proud Japanese, but Pacific is ... well, Pacific is neither of those things. xD)

Why did you change the gist of my last emailed question?

Because I don't speak Chinese perfectly. In any case the question got answered, no? :)

Do the girls have official ranks in the Navy? If so, I don't imagine that they would be enlisted. Warrant officers, perhaps?

Yes, in the same sense that Cpt. America is technically a Captain in the army. The exact nature of who commands the shipgirls specifically (insofar as these pre-Abyssal incursion times go) or what rank they are is largely kept a secret, and in about maybe 99% of the times people just assume shipgirls are family members or civilian officials. I'll note that not all shipgirls hold official ranks, and there is a very specific reason for that. It'll make itself rather obvious in due time.

Do you update Pacific anywhere else other than here?

Again, I do. But time and circumstance means that most of the time I'll be here. Pacific's gotten to the point where I unfortunately do not have enough time to engage with everyone as much as I'd like. I'm still actively reading stuff on Himeuta and WOWS and SB, but beyond that, I'm largely here instead.

A related question to that: how up-to-date are you still with the Kantai Collection fandom? Are you also keeping an eye on similar developments like Warship Girls?

Let me comment on one unrelated question. I'm very up to date in terms of mobile game development and trends and whatnots. That's a hobby, let's put it that.

As far as the KanColle fandom? Of course. While we've taken our own path, let's not forget, it's because we were fans to begin with that prompted us to create. I'm nowhere nearly as informed as I was say back in '14 or '15, but I think I'm still reasonably well informed, and we have a lot of friends in the fandom (doujin artists and the like).

As for the other ones? I simply don't have time. A lot of time someone'll go, "oh Morgane what do you think of X," and I'll say, I think it looks fine, or I think it looks great. But if you ask me what X's latest updates are, or how I feel about situation Y, I really wouldn't be able to tell you. My interests lie elsewhere. x)

Do the girls use their real names in public or do they use secret identities or names the government gave them ala the now-defunct Kancolle fanfic "Greatest Generation"?

Great question. Mononyms are a thing, FYI, in the United States. All shipgirls have actual IDs, but it's really dependent on girl to girl. Some will be a bit more mechanical in approach and prefer to be known by codename or number or nickname. Others, like Narwhal, really doesn't give a damn. I mean if a redhead walked up to some random store, California, and asked for a bottle of scotch. Pretend you're the store owner. You look at her ID and it says "Narwhal," you going to ask?

I mean, you could, but she'll tell you, oh, my parents are hippies. I've got sisters named after other sea critters too. You really going to think twice? ;)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-10 10:27:16
| Show all posts
I'll ask here, how's progress so far on Volume Three? (had to ask as I want to see Nautilus' concept art for an artwork pairing her with Arashi)

VOLUME THREE WEN

Soon(TM). We have about half the candidates actually nailed down for certain, and the others are somewhat flexible.

What music do shipgirls listen to?

K9's made a good stab at providing some concrete details below. His answer is framed in such a way to assume that everything is the same (while it isn't entirely, we really haven't sat down and went, okay, did band X get nommed/still exist/is famous, or is something else turning out to be the case?

Most shipgirls probably don't have much of a musical preference, but certain shipgirls would definitly have music that they prefer to listen to. I won't cover all shipgirls, but the shipgirls I myself am most familiar with.

O'bannon: If she's in her room listening to music herself, her genre of choice is rap and hip hop. She'd be caught up in the whole Wu Tang Clan thing, eminem, and of course, MC Hammer. Later on she'd probably get into artists like Macklemore. Other than that her choice of music is also similar to...

Chester: You do not realize how many times the hampster dance has blared through STEC's speakers only to be stopped by a pissed off Pennsy. A large portion of those Keyboard Cat views? Chester. Don't even get me started on the time when rickrolling was still a thing. Everyone on base probably got rickrolled at least 5 times. In a row.

Phoenix: She's a Metalhead. Metalica's Fuel probably being her favorite song. Recently she's been getting into scandinavian bands. Word on base is that she's not half bad with a guitar or a bass, but no one ever recalls actually listening to her play. And no, she's not planning to get a mohawk anytime soon. Or tight fitting black leather clothing. Stop asking.

San Francisco: She's the kind of person who would show up to indie concerts, or stop and listen to a street artist for a bit before tipping them. In terms of "mainstream" artists, she'd probably like groups like Imagine Dragons and Fun. Take a look at her playlists and you'd find some Flobots and Green Day thrown in there too.

Louisville: Think teenage angsty artists. Green Day, Linkin Park, Suicidal Tendancies, etc. No, she does not have pictures of band members strewn on her room walls. She's not THAT kind of fan.

Shaw: Disney songs. They're upbeat, clean, and great for a "pick me up". She really likes I can go the distance from Hercules.

Sculpin: Songs she can sit back and lounge to. She's a big fan of Bob Marley. "Don't worry, about a thing... 'cause every little thing... is gonna be alright~" She's also been known to listen to artists like Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Mahan: Classical. Anything that can help her read. She's been recently getting into atonal music, though less to listen to and more to learn about the musical theory behind it. Music determined by a mathematical formula? Count her in.

Lori: Big Band Swing of course! Music she can dance to! Maury thinks she'd really like electro-swing as well, though she has yet to introduce it to Lori just yet.

Narwhal: Your guess is as good as mine, though those expensive Grado headphones aren't just a fashion statment... Maury says she thinks it might be the kind of classical that people would call "epic" - think movie or video game soundtracks. Pam thinks it's probably something like power metal. Something upbeat to keep her going. Batfish guesses that it's something on the opposite side of the spectrum. "The kind of thing Sculpin would listen to", she'd say. Something that lets her relax on what breaktime she does get. Enterprise thinks that what kind of music Narwhal listens to is her business, though if she were to venture to guess she'd say that Narwhal is probably listening to something that increases her concentration. She isn't sure what genre of music that would fall under though. Chester? "With THAT bikini on? Duh, it's like, the star spangled banner. On repeat. At the loudest volume."

Many of the shipgirls like Pennsy, Nork-Nork (I never did post why we designed her with pants, come to think of it), or the Iowa sisters are more or less expected to know something of music in the classical sense. Not all are musically talented, and there's not many that knows how to play musical instruments. Tastes also diverge rather significantly since the shipgirls do display regio-cultural tendencies. I somehow doubt you'd be able to catch Cal or Jer jamming out to country, for instance, though that, again, doesn't mean they don't listen to it.

I'll use one character whose musical interests I have explicitly noted in vol. 2 as an example. Tennsy. She's referencing a line coming out of a very patriotic country song, and she sings that genre herself. It's clear that she enjoys singing - look at what she's doing in the 2016 miniseries as an example. It wouldn't be too difficult to make the connection that she's probably very fond of country and probably knows it inside out.

Does it mean that she doesn't listen to anything else? Only if explicitly stated, and obviously that's not the case. But just as you can see 2016 builds off of little details like what's disclosed, this is how I prefer to showcase our characters.

Serious question, Morgester, how would I theoretically date a shipgirl?

Er, how would you theoretically date any young women? Sorry, I don't mean for this to come out as sarcastic at all, but like, how do you expect me to answer that question, exactly?

Are you Morgane of the Mists on Spacebattles?

Yes I am. I am also Morgane of the Mists on Himeuta and tincancarrier on WOWS. x)

IS COREA UNIFIED IN PACIFIC BECAUSE STRONG?

(Apologies, this isn't very clear, since google translate roughly got me the gist of it, so I'm thinking this is what you're asking)

An ahistorical Korean war results in a significantly greater death toll, with the direct result of the two staying separate. Sorry to say, no unified Korea. On the other hand, it's very unlikely you'll see a unified Germany either, as the USSR is alive and well in Pacific. x)

Hey, what happened to Sir Fong's hugeass map thingy? Also what's happened to him?

It's being repurposed since we need to add a lot more "lore" events given our AR2 release. Fong is on retirement at the moment, since he has many real life priorities to take.

Do you have anyone doing British shipgirls now?

(Funny how I get to this like two weeks later, when now I know there's a QE class coming in KC xD)

Not at the moment.

HOW DO I SIGN UP FOR YOUR TEAM?

Er... I'm not sure what you mean by that. We generally don't openly recruit, but we're happy to hear out proposals and ideas.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-11 14:00:47
| Show all posts
(Translated) I'm a fan of your abyssals but I thought they don't look very scary. Why is that?

Because you haven't seen them in a scary environment is my guess. x)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-12 12:39:15
| Show all posts
Zero is currently on the ground scouting the premises. And ... yup, Comiket is big. Very big. xD

Also, he knows what to bribe me with. x)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-8-13 07:33:06
| Show all posts
Because of photographic restrictions (we missed the lotto for press passes), I don't know how many photos Zero can realistically take, but we've moved on-site, and I'll probably update if anything notable pops up.

However, the print looks great. So, fingers crossed!

You have to log in before you can reply Login | 立即注册

Points Rules

Mobile|小黑屋·Darkroom|书墓|书墓之心 ( 蜀ICP备15014333号 )

2017-10-23 04:54 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.294411 sec., 13 queries .