书墓之心

Forgot password?
 立即注册
Search
View: 15572|Reply: 324

[原创] Pacific Updates (May 2016 - Ongoing)

[Copy link]

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
Post time: 2016-5-30 12:55:13
| Show all posts |Read mode
Rather than consolidating the updates as below, I'll most likely be doing what I normally do on my forum posts. I don't know how frequent the updates will be, and you'll be able to see me or other folks post here as well. (Updated August 2016)
A few common questions:

Q. What exactly is Pacific?

A. A creative work/universe centered around American shipgirls. Emphasis on American. *eagles*

Q. What is Pacific's relationship with KanColle/other games of its kind?

A. We started out as a fanbook inspired by KanColle - you can see our origins here on the forums, in the back of vol. 1 (where I explain what motivated the team to come together), and around the web. However, we are not affiliated with KanColle or any other moe-collection based card, browser, or other mobo game.

Q. What exactly is "canon" for Pacific?

A. As of 2016, the two Pacific books, the two Action Report expansion/(Zero affectionately calls them "DLC" books) books, the crossover book OCEAN, and what I post to the hon-haka site under the History of STEC/Penglai Island tags. In general, you'll notice that I've been pretty consistent with lore even back in 2014, so you can more or less assume what you see here on the forums to be accurate as well.

Q. Who's part of the team?

A. The Pacific team consists of the following sections. We've all got our own careers/9-5 jobs ranging from full time college/medical/professional student, studio artists, software engineers, businessman, HR headhunters, translators, or layout editors. But in general:

HQ:
Zero (Zeroblaze), who runs like, everything. Literally everything from printing to mailing to distributing.

Art:
November (Nov), the artist for the Pacific books.
Sima Naoteng (Sima), the artist that does the 2016 series and our AR books and abyssals. Sima also works on the verboten Chinese storyline/arc (since you understand it's touchy to talk about China over there xD)

Lore/Character/Story:
Morgane (me), who's the team's historical advisor, writer, and secretary (at least here on the EN) side. Currently, I "helm" a round table consists of K9catforce(USA), Sune(Japan), and Draa (USSR), and Sima (China). While there are others involved in the process, you'll likely be interacting with me, K9catforce, and Sune on the forums. An honorable mention to Sir Fong (UK) who retired last year due to real-life catching up to him. x)

Our other folks either don't speak the language, are too busy, or are too shy to come answer questions directly. x)

Q. Do you guys really work with a 12 hour difference?

A. Yup. It requires some creative planning, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Q. Who are you?

A. Morgane.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-5-31 04:43:59
| Show all posts
http://www.hon-haka.org/archives/1074

So, let me say two things about today's update, where I think there's potential grounds for controversy. The first is of course, whether or not it's appropriate for us to depict something using our characters to begin with. The secondly is one that's actively on-going, and it's about whether or not it's okay to include the Bible as a part of this display.

Let me answer the second thing first. I'm well aware of the ongoing controversy, and have read enough into both sides to have formulated an opinion. As I've mentioned in the post, it seems that every branch and every station does it a little differently. Some actually don't have say, the napkin either (and not just the Bible), some dictate that it is optional, while still others include it as a part of the ceremony itself. I can certainly see where the opposing argument is coming from. In general, there are people pushing back against the including of a Bible, stating that it is an implicit endorsement of Christianity and a violation of the separation of church and state. My take on this is admittedly in the other perspective, and my reasons are below.

First, it's an awfully tall order to suggest that its inclusion is an "endorsement" of Christianity. It's a little shaky to me because I'm thinking about what the term endorsement (in support of, authorize, etc) actually means. Are people seriously in danger of converting to Christianity just because they saw a Bible on a small table during a ceremony that's at best, maybe performed once a year? I mean, if we removed it from the display, are we suddenly going to create atheists out of all the men that sees the display?

So then we get into an argument of harm. Unfortunately, this is where I really don't see the argument for removing it either. My understanding is that for this ceremony, the Bible is simply a symbol of something that's important to a lot of military men and women. It's symbolic of faith. Faith is an integral part to humanity, and I am of the opinion that no other object on the ceremony speaks quite as frankly on this as this one. Christianity, however, is a matter of RNG (or history) or so than an active endorsement of that particular religion. My opinion is that if we were predominantly Jewish, we would probably be putting a Torah there. If we were predominantly Islamic, probably a Qurran. Perhaps it is faith in each other, in our country, or perhaps it is that most probably many Americans will like a Christian burial when it comes time to complete our little journey in this world. While statistically it is on the decline, America is as a whole reasonably religious still, with Christianity still being the predominant majority of the population even to today. So at the end of the day, it's what it is.

So herein lies the issue. I have no doubts that some will be offended by the presence of the Bible, just like how some are offended by the display of the Ten Commandments or pro gay marriage slogans. But you can see that from the controversy that exists, a very large group of people also wants it to be kept. If we removed it altogether, I'm going to guess that those that are religious and do want it kept would also be unhappy. Though I will not suggest - but the case can definitely be made - that removing the Bible would be dishonoring many, many, many missing Americans as well.

Here's my actual question. For the people that wants to get rid of it, why? Is it out of concern for what it means for the missing, or for the attendees? If it's the former, do we have good reason to believe that the vast majority of them wants it gone, and if it's the latter, why? Isn't the ceremony to honor those who are missing in the first place?

In other words, why does this controversy exist in the first place? Are we trying to create change out of our own sense of convenience or righteousness, or are we actually supposed to be respecting those that the ceremony represents?  

In short, I currently believe that the Bible is simply a symbol used to symbolize faith of the missing, which is probably appropriate given it is probable that it represents the vast majority of the missing of this country. It is neither mandatory nor is it inherently "Christian" in nature, so until proven otherwise, I think it should be kept, and have chosen explicitly to depict that in our piece of art.

I myself care very little for the petty squabbles that go on among the religious right and the irreligious left. It is not my business, and I'm quite aware that the vast, vast, vast, vast majority of our readers are not at all religious. But what needs to be said should be said, and I find it incredulous that we're so easily falling into one camp or the other, without giving the matter some more thought.

Now, for the second thing, I'm aware that some folks are likely going to disapprove of what we do. That's okay. We aren't affiliated with the military, and we don't want to become the mouthpiece of any governmental agency. The question then becomes is it appropriate to have something like this, and whether it's appropriate for it to be a part of Pacific - especially because as you can see, there are clear, clear hints to what has happened in the past.

Again, I'll answer the second thing first. The answer is yes. Unequivocally yes. Our shipgirls come from a diverse range of backgrounds, and depending on who they are, they will treat this matter with different degrees of seriousness. I can bet you, for instance, that Sanny might (probably) raise that above topic that I just did. My normal foil for her is Pennsy, but I can see Northampton or even Mary jumping in on the other side. If I am to craft a believable world - I think our girls deserve nothing less - then it is absolutely important that we include things like this. The one thing I can't see them do, however, is the type of squabbling that exists IRL because of these matters. STEC isn't a large organization by a long shot, and I think when your day job consists of fighting giant sea monsters, I'm inclined to think that they're more likely to understand and forgive and compromise with one another.

If anything, I think the major controversy within STEC itself will likely be coming out of the traditionalist camp (so think Pennsy - Lulu - Lou types) that are likely against any ideas of highlighting those missing specifically as an extra part of the display. Whether or not Mike approves of it is his pejorative, of course, but given STEC's nature of being a fairly secretive elite force, there is going to be greater closeness.  

Why Iowa? Well, this directly ties in with some of the earliest, earliest, earliest, History of STEC pieces. You will note that it is never quite explained just where Iowa came from. It is also never quite explained as to why Iowa knows so much about the Abyssals to begin with. For that matter, her rather defeatist attitude during her initial appearance in 1950 is one that is wholly uncharacteristic of her to begin with. Why might this be the case?

Why might Memorial Day mean a lot to her, considering that Memorial Day honors those who have fallen?

Given the above questions, think about why this would matter to her a great deal, and then you realize why she was the perfect character to use for this particular piece.
As for whether or not it's appropriate for us to use anime girls to draw attention to something like this?

I can't answer for anyone else, but obviously, we think it is. We've done our best to be accurate and faithful to the spirit of the event. Anime-styled art just happens to be our medium of choice. I cannot know whether or not those that are meant to be remembered would approve of what we do, but I hope that some day, I'll find out.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-1 09:35:58
| Show all posts

The more interesting bit about this is perhaps less about the dance, (Iowa's certainly competent at it, but I wouldn't call her an excellent dancer), but more about the nature of STEC's Avalon base. We really want to show that this is home, too, for many of the staff and shipgirls.

As revealed in AR1, these mobile bases are STEC property, and they serve as veritable floating fortresses. The construction of each is unique, however, and due to the nature of their "design," each tend to have its distinctive appearance and style. Avalon, despite its Arthurian name, is pretty American in architectural design. You'll see us putting our own spin on a curious mix of neoclassical (such as what's shown here or the Academy), classical (some of the shipgirls live in what more or less look like castles, as shown by earlier updates), and some very modern interpretations on functionality.

Is Avalon a "class" or a unique entity?

Good question. Navy classification do not currently have nomenclature for, well, literal floating islands. However, STEC names all of its mobile fortresses after mythological landmasses. The currently "docked" (retired) mobile base in California is named Tirnanog. Avalon is actually #3 in terms of the overall schedule of development.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-2 12:23:12
| Show all posts
Who's the shipgirl in the Memorial Day picture?

Well, I can tell you, I think it's the best way to spoiler designs for upcoming characters. As much as we're having fun doing "real" stuff like 2016, this actually gave us a great way to showcase ideas and characters that would have been otherwise gone without an illustration. For instance, we first revealed NY in the New York update.

As you can see from rough sketches such as these, we've already gotten a clear idea for not only her personality, but just what she's doing in the storyline.

Expect to see her pop back up again whenever we actually need to drag someone in to explain law, for instance. x)

Now, as for the Memorial Day picture, the best hint is already present in the picture itself. What I can say is that none of those shipgirls are characters you've seen before. Other than Iowa, of course. :)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-3 11:49:38
| Show all posts
Today's announcement is on GG. Zero'll be going to Shanghai next week to promote that book. He's bringing a sample booklet (I think we're just going to call DEFENSE that).

You can see what the characters look like on our site.

http://www.hon-haka.org/archives/1085

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-4 12:27:36
| Show all posts
Two updates today, only one is technically something made by us.

One is that a popular military commentator from China did a segment on KanColle. In it, he touches most of the points that I've made here repeatedly in my forum posts. So I was extremely encouraged to hear him speak on the subject matter.

http://www.bilibili.com/video/av4846932/

It wasn't until one of our readers emailed me that I realized we were featured as background material in his video.

I am currently enjoying the confusion in the comment section, as half of them are like "no wait, this isn't in any of those mobo games..."
Of course not. Pacific's Pacific. xD It wouldn't be Pacific otherwise.

-------
Now, here's the issue. On one hand, I kind of want to just tell the story now. On the other hand, we are going through all the trouble to make actual books. So it's always a conflict for me in terms of how much information to put out now versus later.

That's Iowa's friend in the Memorial Day picture above. Since we already had an idea about how to place her in the story and how to write her, you can see that the overall creative process was not so different from the final character. (We only adjusted her hairstyle in reference to a historical character associated with her)

Now, contrast this with say, someone like Sanny...

So, as you can see, Sanny went through a couple of more revisions. Still quite hipster in the original version, but slightly more so. For us, though, it was a matter of color. The original Sanny was kind of drab, and that clashed with how we wrote her, so we changed her outfit to what it is today.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-5 10:52:44
| Show all posts

Someone asked if that's what Weavy's room looks like, well, here it is. As you can see, she lives rather simply. It's really just a one-room tiny house somewhere out in West Virginia.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-6 11:05:06
| Show all posts
Okay, someone asked me in an email about what the new book's going to look like. In other words...

How serious/lighthearted is the new Pacific book?

I am Enterprise. American. Shipgirl. Defender of all of humanity.

This is M-

You know what, Morgane, I can't do this. This is too silly. Just give them what they want to see. Alright?

By the values of freedom!

I have the power!

--------
Side note. This actually goes back to the joke we buried in vol. 1 waaaaaaay back then. We really like the cute short tiny Enterprise, but as you know, we really like all of our girls. So we were sitting around and going, what can we do to make the long-haired version Enterprise appear in our book again?

November: I LOVE THE NEW SAILOR MOON.

Me: !!

Zero: Nov, get on that. Now.

So I think honestly depending on who's writing her lines, you're going to see different references. xD

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-7 15:56:38
| Show all posts
Side note. I'll be on the road (as will Zero) for the next couple of days. He's actually done something for D-Day, but I'll have to wait for him to get off the plane to see what he's made.

That being said, though.

What we did for today's NJ piece was actually quite fun. The back is actually a part of New Jersey's skyline - I'll leave it to natives to figure out where it actually is. This is one of the few situations where we had an extraordinarily simple creative process, where we really had just one thing to focus on (in contrast to our usual fun-filled chaos).

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-8 15:19:08
| Show all posts

Shanghai. Probably'll have more to show as Zero finishes setting up. This is one of the larger conventions we'll be attending, so wish us luck. :)

As for myself? I took a quick trip back home to vote. x) I'm back now and regular updates should resume tomorrow.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-9 11:02:20
| Show all posts
While Zero is setting up at Shanghai, here's a new piece from November.

As I mentioned, this is something of a "fun" book. The ship here is obviously not drawn to scale, but it should hopefully get people to wonder: just exactly what's happened here? :O
Is that a shipwreck, or are people just living in giant boats in this particular world? Who are the two people sitting next to the fire?

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-10 12:59:56
| Show all posts
Zero reports in and will have pictures later. A two day convention, and we're out of Pacific books by mid-afternoon, day one. Zero has some Abyssal books left at this point, but yeah, as before, everything went great. :D

Now, I do want to show something. It's a piece of art that'll probably be on hold because November lost the hard drive he was working on. This, like the previous piece I posted with Weavy standing in a church, will never be.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-11 11:04:39
| Show all posts
A very quick update, since the team is a little busy this weekend.

This is ridiculously adorable. xD

And, also, in so far as our next book goes?

You know at this point we're gonna start calling it Edsall's Great Adventure or something. xD

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-12 11:26:32
| Show all posts
Zero and the rest of the Chinese team is assembling in Beijing. Meanwhile, I'd like to talk a little about one of our character designs.

You can see from the date here that a lot of times we've got stuff drawn already, but because of my schedule, I don't always post it immediately. Like I said, I treat this like a hobby, though I do think it's a great idea to show something every day. This thread is as much for everyone as it is for me, since it reminds me of what we're doing, and why it's fun to do this kind of thing to begin with.

Being Iowa's good friend, we wanted to maintain the same "homey" feel in her character. I sat down with Sima and walked him through many popular hairstyles of the time, and we ended up choosing what you see here instead. Now, the one other reason why we picked that specifically for this character is also a nod to her real-life nickname. A popular comic series called Li'l Abner had a character named Daisy Mae.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJQ-iFpnAcc

I'll say that based on how I've written her, the hair color's the more obvious reference. The hairstyle doesn't quite fit her character, so we've intentionally decided to forgo that obvious reference in favor of exercising our own creativity. That, and Daisy's up-and-at-em attitude, though that'd hardly unique to the comic strip and more attributable to the general "culture" of the times.

At some point I'll write a piece on Li'l Abner. See, American "comics" isn't just Superman or superheroes. There are plenty of other things like say, this or the Archies that are just as important or left just as deep of an impression on the American psyche as our superheroes.

Of course, by now, the character should be obvious by now. I'll probably put her on the website soon enough. :)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-13 14:07:30
| Show all posts
"Why is November switching his art style?"

I'll be honest. He really hasn't. One of the perks of using an electronic medium is that it allows for one to switch very rapidly between different types. If you use a different density of a brush, for instance, you can easily get back to the "November" style that you see as a part of Pacific, GG, or even the Enterprise pictures up there.

That being said, though, because both November and Sima aspires towards self-improvement, you'll see them switch things up. For instance, this picture of Mary here is a play with facial features, and a nod to the realism school of art.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-14 12:54:58
| Show all posts
Are there any plans for more of text based storylines after the 2016 series is wrapped up? I enjoyed the Penglai Island and STEC history series and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more of it.

Yes to both, but we put those out in our own pace, as we have our own books that we're busy working on.

One of the reasons why the Penglai Island stuff haven't been updated (despite having been written) is that I've decided that it makes far more sense to attach a face to the characters. From my personal viewpoint, it's kind of interesting to see how consistent the story of Pacific's stayed even after a year and a half of plotting. Most of the major characters (especially the ordinary folks or the protagonists) have been more or less fleshed out last year when we wrote the first Action Report, but I'm looking for an opportunity to actually bring them into the storyline.

A good example would be Leon Harris. The part that I posted about him back in Feb-March of 2015 last year was an example and a focal point to show why he's the way he is. The thing is, it's important to me to consider a character for the purpose they play in the story. I'm actually not all that character driven when it comes to writing - it's more so that I have an idea I want to communicate, and I pick which characters I think would be good to illustrate certain views or purposes.

As for the history of STEC, those tend to be a lot more fun but a lot more time consuming. They were always meant to be a segway between real life history and the alternative events that played out during Pacific's "alternative" timeline. I'm not intentionally trying to keep anything hidden away, but if you read into the Memorial Day piece (and the closing letter in the English version of vol. 1) you've pretty much figured out just what it is STEC's trying to figure out. In-universe, that took them basically decades. ;)

Does Greatest Generation have plans to cover either the IJA or the Chinese, given that it's a WW2-themed book?

No comment.

Will you continue with the 2016 series?

Well, I think we'd love to just wrap up 2016. We've got maybe one to two more pieces left. If there's an opportunity for Fairy!Trump and Fairy!Clinton and Fairy!Bernie and co. to show up in the future, I think we're definitely going to go at it again.

The 2016 series have seriously evolved tremendously in both complexity and scope. Sima easily spends upwards of several hundred hours on each piece, and it takes up a lot of his time. It's fun, but at the same time, we do try to push our own limits a bit. It's been a pretty fun trip since.

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-15 13:14:45
| Show all posts
Live, straight from inside November's workstation:

At some point I should ask him about what sort of things that he use. x)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-16 12:38:54
| Show all posts
Today's update is one of the last pieces on 2016. :)

What started out as a simple, hmm, let's put Sanny and Cal in bikinis/swimsuits became: why don't we put all of our girls in the picture. x)

The rest, as always? All's well ends well. :)

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-17 14:16:20
| Show all posts
One quick note: slightly busy weekend. Will likely update tomorrow rather than today.

Also I didn't realize how pale the Kongou sister's skin are until November finishes coloring. xD

Digests

Threads

图书馆馆长·Library Director

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-6-18 14:08:03
| Show all posts
A quick service announcement:

I'm doing some patchwork on the back end. The forum and the website may or not be down. Zero is traveling back to Chengdu, while the artists are busy at work as well. That being said, I'm stupidly busy this weekend, so unfortunately don't expect much activity anywhere. x)

I'll answer one question, though.

How much text are we expecting to see in the new book?

Basically at least that much. We do want to give a little story to each of the illustrations, but this'll be a lot more dialogue heavy.
You have to log in before you can reply Login | 立即注册

Points Rules

Mobile|小黑屋·Darkroom|书墓|书墓之心 ( 蜀ICP备15014333号 )

2017-8-19 09:44 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.330712 sec., 14 queries .